Two Singapore Airbnb hosts plead guilty to unauthorized short-term rentals

FILE PHOTO: A general view of d'Leedon condominium in Singapore December 6, 2017.  REUTERS/Edgar Su/File Photo

US-SINGAPORE-CRIME-AIRBNB:Two Singapore Airbnb hosts plead guilty to unauthorized short-term rentals

By Fathin Ungku

SINGAPORE (Reuters) - Two Singaporeans on trial for unauthorized short-term rentals posted on Airbnb pleaded guilty in court on Tuesday in the first such cases under the city-state's rules on short-term property letting introduced last year.

The two men were charged for letting four units in a condominium for less than six months without permission from Singapore's Urban Redevelopment Authority and face a fine of up to S$200,000 ($152,000) per offense.

Prosecutors however requested fines of S$20,000 per charge for a total of S$80,000 for each of the two defendants, who spoke in court to plead guilty to the charges. Defense lawyers sought fines of $5,000 per charge.

The Singapore government has pledged to seek public feedback on a regulatory framework covering such rentals after the cases of the two hosts prompted a plea from Airbnb that the existing framework was "untenable".

Airbnb, founded in 2008 in San Francisco, matches people wishing to rent out all or part of their homes to temporary guests.

The firm has clashed with hoteliers and authorities in cities including New York, Amsterdam, Berlin and Paris, which are limiting short-term rentals in some cases.

Critics blame Airbnb for exacerbating housing shortages and driving out lower-income residents.

(Writing by Jack Kim; Editing by Paul Tait)

Related News

Malaysia wins 145 golds to become SEA Games champions

Aug 31, 2017

Host Malaysia has won 145 gold medals at the Southeast Asian Games to emerge as overall champions for the first time in 16 years, making it a double celebration in conjunction with its 60th anniversary of its independence from British rule

The Latest: Official says school applied for safety approval

Sep 14, 2017

A fire department official says the initial investigation into a fatal dormitory fire in Malaysia showed the school had just applied for building safety approval

Malaysia fire blocks lone exit to Islamic dormitory; 23 dead

Sep 14, 2017

A fire that blocked the only exit to an Islamic school dormitory has killed 23 people who were trapped behind barred windows on the outskirts of Malaysia's largest city

Stomp The City brings to you the latest trending news in Malaysia. Along with our daily active audiences and the efficient editorial team here in Stomp The City, we’re able to make things go viral in almost no time. Together, we are stronger.

Contact us: sales@stompthecity.com