Malaysia says search for MH370 to end next week

Malaysia's new Transport Minister Anthony Loke Siew Fook gesture during a press conference in Putrajaya, Malaysia on Wednesday, May 23, 2018. New Transport Minister Anthony Loke says the search for missing Malaysia Airline Flight 370 ends next Tuesday after a 90-day period under a "no cure no fee" agreement with a private U.S. firm. (AP Photo)

Malaysia's transport minister says the search by a private U.S. company for Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 will end next Tuesday

KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia — The search by a private U.S. company for Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 will end next week, Malaysia's transport minister said Wednesday, while families of those who died onboard urged the government to review all matters related to the jet's disappearance four years ago.

Malaysia signed a "no cure, no fee" deal with Texas-based Ocean Infinity in January to resume the hunt for the plane, a year after the official search in the southern Indian Ocean by Australia, Malaysia and China was called off.

So far, the search has not turned up anything that could shed light on one of the world's biggest aviation mystery.

Transport Minister Anthony Loke said Wednesday that the 90-day search deal with Ocean Infinity was due to end in April but was extended twice until May 29 following the firm's request.

"There will be no more extensions. It cannot continue forever. Let's wait until May 29 and we will then decide how to proceed," he told The Associated Press.

The plane vanished March 8, 2014, while flying from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing with 239 people on board.

Under the deal, the government will pay Ocean Infinity up to $70 million based on the size of the area searched if the mission is successful within three months. Officials have said there was an 85 percent chance of finding the debris in a new 25,000-square-kilometer (9,650-suqare-mile) search area identified by experts.

The official search was extremely difficult because no transmissions were received from the aircraft after its first 38 minutes of flight. Systems designed to automatically transmit the flight's position failed to work, according to a final report issued in January 2017 by the Australian Transport Safety Board.

Voice 370, which represents families of those aboard the flight, in a statement Wednesday urged the new government to review all matters related to the jet's disappearance including "any possible falsification" or elimination of maintenance records and any omission that may have impaired tracking, search, rescue and recovery of the plane.

Loke said the new government, which took power after the May 9 elections, is committed to transparency and will release details for public scrutiny in due time.

Related News

Malaysia wins 145 golds to become SEA Games champions

Aug 31, 2017

Host Malaysia has won 145 gold medals at the Southeast Asian Games to emerge as overall champions for the first time in 16 years, making it a double celebration in conjunction with its 60th anniversary of its independence from British rule

The Latest: Official says school applied for safety approval

Sep 14, 2017

A fire department official says the initial investigation into a fatal dormitory fire in Malaysia showed the school had just applied for building safety approval

Malaysia fire blocks lone exit to Islamic dormitory; 23 dead

Sep 14, 2017

A fire that blocked the only exit to an Islamic school dormitory has killed 23 people who were trapped behind barred windows on the outskirts of Malaysia's largest city

Stomp The City brings to you the latest trending news in Malaysia. Along with our daily active audiences and the efficient editorial team here in Stomp The City, we’re able to make things go viral in almost no time. Together, we are stronger.

Contact us: sales@stompthecity.com