Asian soccer candidate files complaint about Kuwaiti sheikh

FILE - In this file photo dated Wednesday, Nov. 28, 2018, Sheikh Ahmad al-Fahad al-Sabah, president of the Association of National Olympic Committees (ANOC) delivers a speech during the ANOC general assembly in Tokyo. In a letter seen by The Associated Press Thursday April 18, 2019, Mariyam Mohamed of Maldives, who lost an election to join FIFA’s ruling council earlier this month, has filed a formal complaint alleging “threats and manipulation” by Olympic power broker Sheikh Ahmad al-Fahad al-Sabah. (AP Photo/Eugene Hoshiko, FILE)

A candidate who lost an election to join the FIFA Council this month has filed a formal complaint accusing Olympic powerbroker Sheikh Ahmad al-Fahad al-Sabah of 'threats and manipulation'

KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia — A candidate who lost an election to join the FIFA Council this month has filed a formal complaint accusing Olympic powerbroker Sheikh Ahmad al-Fahad al-Sabah of "threats and manipulation."

Mariyam Mohamed of Maldives says in a letter to the Asian Football Confederation's election oversight committee that "women's football should work and run independently of the apparent politics and vote rigging that clearly occurred."

In the letter, seen by The Associated Press, Mohamed requests an investigation into the Kuwaiti sheikh's supposed influence on the April 6 vote in Kuala Lumpur.

Mohamed says the sheikh told her she had no future in soccer if she stayed in the election against Mahfuza Akhter Kiron of Bangladesh. Mohamed lost 31-15.

Two years ago, Sheikh Ahmad resigned his FIFA Council seat after being implicated in a U.S. federal court of bribing Asian soccer officials to influence elections. He denied wrongdoing.

___

More AP soccer: https://apnews.com/apf-Soccer and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports

Related News

Malaysia wins 145 golds to become SEA Games champions

Aug 31, 2017

Host Malaysia has won 145 gold medals at the Southeast Asian Games to emerge as overall champions for the first time in 16 years, making it a double celebration in conjunction with its 60th anniversary of its independence from British rule

The Latest: Official says school applied for safety approval

Sep 14, 2017

A fire department official says the initial investigation into a fatal dormitory fire in Malaysia showed the school had just applied for building safety approval

Malaysia fire blocks lone exit to Islamic dormitory; 23 dead

Sep 14, 2017

A fire that blocked the only exit to an Islamic school dormitory has killed 23 people who were trapped behind barred windows on the outskirts of Malaysia's largest city

Stomp The City brings to you the latest trending news in Malaysia. Along with our daily active audiences and the efficient editorial team here in Stomp The City, we’re able to make things go viral in almost no time. Together, we are stronger.

Contact us: sales@stompthecity.com